Niagara College to welcome new students for fall Orientation
Speed-friending, bubble soccer, concerts, campus tours and information sessions are just a few activities on the agenda for next week when thousands of new students get their first taste of college life
Niagara College will host fall 2015 Orientation from Tuesday, Sept. 8 to Sunday, Sept. 13 with a full roster of activities and events designed to introduce new students to the college experience.
“The beginning of a new academic year is an exciting time for all, but especially for our new students; Orientation is designed to help our first-year students get a positive academic and social start as they begin their studies,” said Rick Anderson, director of Student Services. “Our start-up activities also include opportunities to welcome back our returning students and engage our local communities through activities like our first-ever Niagara College Trunk Sale in Welland and our Desserts in the Vineyard event at the Niagara-on-the-Lake Campus.”
Highlights of Orientation 2015 events include:
• A first-year mixer video dance (Sept., 8, 8-11 p.m., Welland Campus, The Core);
• Stunt show Monsters of Schlock (Sept. 8, 7-10 p.m., NOTL Campus, The Armoury);
• Student Services Fair (Sept. 8, 8:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m., Welland and NOTL Campuses);
• Dessert in the Vineyard reception for students and the NOTL community (Sept. 9, 6:30-8 p.m., NOTL Campus);
• Pasta Dinner and Comedy Night (Sept. 10, 6-9 p.m., Welland Campus, The Core);
• NC Concert Series (Sept. 11, 8-11 p.m., Welland and NOTL Campus);
• Spirit Rally (Sept. 12, 12:30 p.m., Welland Campus), followed by Varsity soccer game vs. Humber College ( 2-6 p.m, Young Sportsplex), and Bubble Soccer (3-5 p.m., Young Sportsplex); and
• The College’s first-ever Trunk Sale in support of the United Way, free family event for students and public (Sept 13, noon-3 p.m., Welland Campus). View Trunk Sale media release here:
A full schedule of Orientation activities is available at: http://orientation.niagaracollege.ca/
Niagara College will be buzzing with activity even before Orientation however, as hundreds of students move into student residence buildings on Saturday, Sept. 5 (9 a.m. to 1 p.m.) at the Welland and Niagara-on-the-Lake campuses. Move-in Day launches the college’s Welcome Weekend, providing a head-start for students prior to Orientation.
While registration remains open until Sept. 15, projections indicate that close to 4,700 new full-time students will begin their studies at the College this fall, with a combined enrolment will surpass 10,000 students. Niagara College continues to see in increase in international enrolment, as well as students with previous post-secondary education, including university graduates.
Classes for most programs will begin on Sept. 9.
Niagara College offers more than 100 diploma, bachelor degree and advanced level programs at campuses in Welland, Niagara-on-the-Lake, and Niagara Falls; as well as more than 600 credit, vocational and general interest Continuing Education courses. Areas of specialization include food and wine sciences, advanced technology, media, applied health and community safety, supported by unique learning enterprises in food, wine, beer, horticulture and esthetics. For more information visit NiagaraCollege.ca.