Potential Coyotes In North Welland Area
The City of Welland has received reports of coyote sightings in the north end of the city. Although coyotes do not typically approach humans, they will approach family pets and small animals if given the opportunity. It is advised to keep dogs leashed while out walking and ensure cats remain indoors from dusk to dawn when coyotes are most active. As a safety precaution, be aware of all surroundings when out walking.
What to do if you encounter a coyote:
· keep your distance, and the animal will most likely avoid you
· never approach or touch a wild animal
· do not turn your back or run from a wild animal
· back away from the animal while remaining calm
· stand tall, wave your hands, and make lots of noise
· carry a flashlight at night
· if a wild animal poses an immediate threat or danger to public safety — call 911
Coyote concerns and sightings are addressed by the Ministry of Natural Resources, which can be reached toll-free at 1-800-667-1940. Coyote sightings can be reported to Coyote Watch Canada. For more information, visit www.coyotewatchcanada.com.